Is CyberKnife Clinically Proven
The CyberKnife System utilizes radiation technology that has been proven for over 30 years. The revolutionary design of the system uses that proven technology to provide the most accurate treatment available.
Is the CyberKnife cleared by the FDA?
Yes. It received clearance from the FDA in July 1999 for the treatment of head and neck tumors. In October 2001, the FDA extended its clearance to include treatment of tumors and other conditions anywhere in the body making it possible for the CyberKnife Treatment Center at Baptist Health Lexington to offer treatment alternatives to many patients who:
- are otherwise diagnosed as inoperable
- want or need an alternative to traditional open surgery
- have received the maximum allowable dose of radiation
- do not want to undergo a treatment using a stereotactic frame
- do not want an additional operation to remove a recurrent or residual tumor
Who would be involved in my treatments?
Baptist Health Lexington utilizes a team approach to help you with your treatment. Team members include: your surgeon, radiation oncologist, the CyberKnife treatment team, physicist, and other team members within the hospital.